With the launch of Overwatch upon us, we’ve rounded up our essential news and features to help give you a quick rundown on the much-anticipated multiplayer shooter. From our in-depth video series where we interview Blizzard to our multiple pieces covering our thoughts and impressions on the game; here’s everything you need to know.
Be sure to check back as we update this article with new features and our in-depth review of Overwatch.
The Story of Overwatch
From the Death of Titan to the Birth of Overwatch: A 3-Part Video Series–Video producer Danny O’Dwyer visits Blizzard to talk with the Overwatch team about the game’s development history, influences, and more. Notable interviews include game director Jeff Kaplan, Blizzard’s senior vice president of story and franchise development Chris Metzen, and various other key staff members. You can find a trailer for the series in the video above. Otherwise, click the link above for all three parts.
Interviews and Features
- The Story of Overwatch: The Complete Jeff Kaplan Interview–While you can see parts of our interview with Overwatch director Jeff Kaplan in the Story of Overwatch video series, you can get the complete discussion in our full feature.
- The Story of Overwatch: The Complete Chris Metzen Interview–During our visit to Blizzard, we got the opportunity to talk to Chris Metzen, the company’s senior vice president of story and franchise development.
- From PC to Console: Can Overwatch Make the Jump?–We got the chance to try out Overwatch on consoles; here’s how it performs.
- Overwatch PS4 v PC Gameplay Comparison–Check out our gameplay comparison between the game’s PS4 and PC version. What plays better?
- Overwatch $130 Collector’s Edition Unboxing Gallery–Take a look at these photos of the Overwatch’s expensive collector’s edition. Alternatively, you can also watch us unbox it.
- Here’s Exactly When Overwatch Launches–The game’s servers are scheduled to go live at the same time worldwide; here’s when you can start playing.
- Overwatch Heads to Retail a Day Early, But Only So You Can Get Ready for Launch Day–If you’re picking up Overwatch, you can actually get it a day early. Here’s how it works.
- Overwatch Cheaters Will Receive Permanent Bans, Blizzard Confirms–Blizzard’s upcoming multiplayer shooter isn’t going to be nice to those who don’t play fair. Find out why.
- Overwatch’s Beta Included Everything in the Full Game–While many beta tests offer a limited slice of what the game will offer, this month’s Overwatch open beta included everything that will be there when the full version launches.
In the lead-up to Overwatch’s launch, Blizzard released a series of animated shorts showcasing the game’s characters and universe. The first video below fleshes out Winston’s backstory and shows a tense battle between him and Reaper. For the rest of the shorts, click from the links below.
- Overwatch – “Alive” Animated Short–“Alive” weaves a tale of Widowmaker, a Talon assassin who stalks her prey with deadly efficiency. In this episode, witness a fateful night in London’s King’s Row–where you’ll can see how one death can change everything.
- Overwatch – “Dragons” Animated Short–Discover the story behind one of Overwatch’s biggest rivalries in the third animated short: Dragons. It explores the history of conflict between the scions of the Shimada clan: Hanzo and Genji.